Virtual Realty, XAML and More with Laurent Bugnion
What does Virtual Reality and XAML have to do with each other? Carl and Richard talk to Laurent Bugnion about his work around building virtual reality software. The challenge, as Laurent puts it, is the whole 3D issue. Building 3D software is tricky, and the tooling is hugely important. The conversation turns to tools like Unity3D, which is very popular in the 3D space. But can XAML do the job? What is the development experience like? What can you build and how do you test it? And what can we really do with virtual reality beyond gaming? Great conversation with a guy who's built a ton of awesome software!
Laurent works as Senior Cloud Developer Advocate for Microsoft after almost 10 years spent working for IdentityMine and Valorem, two leading firms in Microsoft technologies. He is one of the foremost experts for XAML and C# based development. He codes in Windows, WPF, Xamarin (iOS and Android), Unity, ASP.NET. On his free time, Laurent writes for technical publications such as MSDN Magazine, and his blog is on blog.galasoft.ch. He is a frequent speaker at conferences such as Microsoft MIX, Build, TechEd, VSLive, TechDays and many other international events. Prior to joining Microsoft, Laurent was a Microsoft Most Valuable Professional for Windows development from 2007 to 2017, a Microsoft Regional Director from 2013 and a Xamarin Most Valuable Professional from 2015. He is also the author of the well-known open source framework MVVM Light for Windows, WPF, Xamarin, and of the popular Pluralsight reference course about MVVM Light.
- Helios https://github.com/spotify/helios
- Identity Mine http://www.identitymine.com/
- GalaSoft http://www.galasoft.ch/
- MVVMLight http://www.mvvmlight.net/
- Gear VR http://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/wearables/gear-vr/
- Nissan Pathfinder Experience https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Dt013Ico6c
- Oculus Rift https://www.oculus.com/en-us/
- Leap Motion https://www.leapmotion.com/
- .NET Foundation http://www.dotnetfoundation.org/